Preventing your hair from breaking off at the root is easy and affordable. I made a list of products that I personally used when I experienced hair breakage at the roots.
- Shampoo:AHAVA Mineral Shampoo. It’s light, but filled with minerals. Really strengthened my hair! I found the AHAVA mineral conditioner drying though, so pair it with something else. A shampoo with minerals, regardless of brand name, is the way to go.
- Conditioner: GLISS Products. I found this product in Germany and brought it back with me. Not sure where you can find them in the US, but they are amazing! Oil Nutritive GLISS was amazing, though they have a few others I also use. Any conditioner with biotin, keratin and oils are great for preventing root breakage.
- Leave-in Conditioner: Paul Mitchell Kids Taming Spray: It’s a light conditioner, but great for putting in the hair before using a straightening iron. I tried heavier conditioners, but they weighed my hair down and didn’t perform will with a flat iron.
- Hair Oil: Weleda’s Rosemary Hair Oil: It’s gentle, pleasant smelling and also worked well with the flat iron as a pre-treatment. I also use it after the shower while my hair is still damp.
- Deep Conditioning Treatment: Alberto VO5 is a good treatment, but I just didn’t always have the patience and with the other treatments, it wasn’t necessary. I didn’t like Garnier Fructis either. That said, Nexxus Humectress Hydrating Deep Conditioner is nice. Generally though, I just prefer to use hair oil as a deep conditioning treatment.
Good luck with fixing your hair! If you have any questions, comments or recommendations for products, please leave them in comments!